November Meeting: The November meeting of the LSSDS will be held on Saturday, November 9, at 6:00 p.m. We will meet in at the Senter East Building in Irving, Texas. The Hammer Dulcimer will be led by David Moran. He will be teaching 2 tunes and his arrangements of them. David's not going to be able to join us for Winter Festival, this year, so we're glad to be able to take this opportunity to learn from him at the meeting. Karl Neumann be leading the MD crew. They will start getting ready for Christmas. Everyone bring your favorite Christmas song or two, or just yourselves if you have no tunes to bring!
2013 Meeting Dates and Times: November 9: Senter East Building. December: No meeting. The Senter East Building is located at 228 Chamberlain Street, Irving, Texas 75060. All meetings at the Senter East Building will begin at 6:00 p.m.
Meeting Location to Change: Our every other monthly meetings of the LSSDS will have a change of venue for 2014. The Irving Parks and Recreation made change in their policies that require us to make changes in our meetings. Tentatively we have a new location in line. It is still in Irving and not far from our current meeting place. Joe Morgan has the details and will let us know before our January meeting. He might even add the information to this newsletter once I email it to him. It should go up on the website in the near future and there will be details in the next newsletter.
Note from Joe: As Dana said, our meeting location will change in 2014. We are no longer able to use City of Irving facilities free of charge. I can explain at the meeting if anyone is interested but would rather not waste a lot of newsletter space on it. We could still use the facilities, but it would cost us $75 per meeting. I have checked with my church and we can meet there for free. A yearly donation might be in order, but it would be voluntary on our part and much less than the cost with the city. Our normal meeting dates are available, but we may need to have some flexibility to work around any church needs that might arise. Our church moved to a new location a couple of years ago. We are still in the south part of Irving, but closer to Airport Freeway. Details for the 2014 meetings, including a map to the new location, will be included as part of the January newsletter.
Officer Elections: Yes, it’s that time again. Well actually it’s past that time again. Well, in reality it’s double past that time again. We were supposed to have officer elections in July. I forgot to mention it. Then we were supposed to do it again in September but alas, I forgot to mention it again. Howsomever, we will have them in November. If you would like a role or know of someone that you think would do a good job please let us know at the November meeting.
Shady Grove Old Time Jam: This is a small informal jam group learning and playing old time/celtic music in San Angelo, Texas that is meeting weekly Tuesdays 7:00-8:30 p.m. at a private residence but open to all old time players. The group currently includes hammer dulcimer, fiddle, mandolin, Irish drum, Irish lap harp, 6 string banjo, penny whistle and occasional guitar – looking forward to having other old time acoustic instruments in the group joining in including mountain dulcimers, ukes, autoharps, etc. For more information, contact Charis Worden at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ken Kuntz at KenKcarver@Suddenlink.net.
Dulcimer Teacher Wanted: Linda Walker is a resident of Dallas looking for a dulcimer teacher. Do you know someone? If so, have them contact Linda Walker by email at: email@example.com.
New Senior's Exam, you only need 4 correct out of 10 questions to pass.
1) How long did the Hundred Years' War last?
2) Which country makes Panama hats?
3) From which animal do we get cat gut?
4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October Revolution?
5) What is a camel's hair brush made of?
6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named after what animal?
7) What was King George VI's first name?
8) What color is a purple finch?
9) Where are Chinese gooseberries from?
10) What is the color of the black box in a commercial airplane?
Remember, you need only 4 correct answers to pass.
Check your answers below ....
ANSWERS TO THE QUIZ
1) How long did the Hundred Years War last? 116 years
2) Which country makes Panama hats? Ecuador
3) From which animal do we get cat gut? Sheep and Horses
4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October Revolution?November
5) What is a camel's hair brush made of? Squirrel fur
6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named after what animal? Dogs
7) What was King George VI's first name? Albert
8 ) What color is a purple finch? Crimson
9) Where are Chinese gooseberries from? New Zealand
10) What is the color of the black box in a commercial airplane? Orange(of course)